While I was sitting outside today, a six year old sat next to me on the bench facing me with his knees tucked up under his chin. He pulled his coat over his head and put his forehead against my arm until he was a tiny green ball.
Then from inside the tiny green ball a tiny green voice started telling this story, poking his head out to verify the details. This is as true to exactly what he said, as best as I can remember it:
There once was a red jacket with white stripes.
and there were jeans
and grey shoes.
There was the ground
and the bench
And a the red jacket was soft and I am leaning against it
Inside was a teacher
She has green eyes
blue eyes
grey eyes
Miss Kirsten, what color are your eyes?
and there was a shirt with whales
and hearts
and the hearts had colors
like a rainbow
I like rainbows
I like Miss Kirsten
I've never seen a whale
there are lots of colors on the shirt
and the grass is green.
those shoes are cool.
I like it here.
It's almost my turn to play curb ball
Do you ever get cold in just that red jacket?
Is this a jacket or a sweatshirt?
Did your eyes used to be brown?
this is truly to precious for words. I wish i could right a better comment.
ReplyDelete<3
Since you already removed the poem about the words we use, I'm commenting here... BRILLIANT.
ReplyDeleteSo so good. I want to tell students exactly that all the time. You worded it all wonderfully.