Friday, April 2, 2010

postgrad lounging

I was sitting in the postgraduate study lounge: a lounge which, in order to enter, you must be a student of the post graduate variety (ie- phd or masters)
I tell you this, not to brag, but because I want to emphasize that people here are students presumably because they feel strongly about learning and are at least moderately more likely to be interested in their subject of research than undergraduates. Well, the post graduate study lounge has windows that face out into a gorgeous garden in the middle of the castle-like structure that is our school and just now, outside these windows, someone started playing a bagpipe and- I thought this was so cute- everyone, and I mean EVERY PERSON in the room got up and stood by the window and watched for probably 5 minutes. Not one person stayed seated (I totally tried to act to cool for school for a little bit longer but I definitely succumbed and ran up to the window to watch). All these little post graduate students, posing as grown ups, but secretly the type of people who would press their nose up against a window and watch a guy with a bagpipe as people go parading past. It was funny because some of them, particularly those of the male persuasion, tried to act all nonchalant about it. They sauntered over slowly, looking around as if to say "Oh, I'm not going to watch the bagpipes, I just left my notes etched into this glass." or "I've been here a while but gave up my watch for lent so I'm just checking the sun to see what time it is."

tl;dr: I knew we were all secretly children inside

No comments:

Post a Comment