You know how there are some times, times when you are just looking for the right words to say, and every other word that just isn't right makes you more and more frustrated? I like to watch Dr. Who. I guess if you believe there is such a thing as excess of Dr Who then, yeah, maybe I watch it in excess. Luckily, I don't have that belief so it's not a problem. Anyway, I like the role in it that naming things plays. That words are so important. That maybe, if you can just figure out the name, you can know something, and in knowing it and naming it maybe it will all be ok.
But because all the words I try have been coming out sloppy and wrong, I have decided to put down here two things, neither mine, that are just right. They make me feel safe because they are exactly what I had wanted to say.
the first, as a way to rewrite in better terms everything I was trying to say earlier:
It seems to me the less he said, the more beauty he made. Do you know what sentence of his I admire the most? It is “The bright day is done, and we are for the dark.”
I wish I’d known those words on the day I watched those German troops land, plane-load after plane-load of them – and come off ships down in the harbor! All I could think of was "damn them, damn them", over and over. If I could have thought the words “the bright day is done and we are for the dark,” I’d have been consoled somehow and ready to go out and contend with circumstance – instead of my heart sinking to my shoes.
-from the Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society
but the second, the second is about how I feel. And because I only gave this to people I like, and presumably only people who like me read it, and I feel like we're connected. like maybe you remember me and I remember you, and it helps when I am missing
When you remember me, it means that you have carried something of who I am with you, that I have left some mark of who I am on who you are. It means that you can summon me back to your mind even though countless years and miles may stand between us. It means that if we meet again, you will know me. It means that even after I die, you can still see my face and hear my voice and speak to me in your heart.
For as long as you remember me, I am never entirely lost. When I'm feeling most ghost-like, it is your remembering me that helps remind me that I actually exist. When I'm feeling sad, it's my consolation. When I'm feeling happy, it's part of why I feel that way.
If you forget me, one of the ways I remember who I am will be gone. If you forget, part of who I am will be gone. "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." the good thief said from his cross (Luke 23:42). There are perhaps no more human words in all of Scripture, no prayer we can pray so well.
-frederick buechner (the magnificent)
<3 Dr. Who.
ReplyDeleteWhy are there no ducks in the duck pond, and why doesn't Amy Pond care?