I ran out of gas a few days ago. Not so much in the metaphorical sense and more in the embarrassing car sputtering, pull of the nearest exit, late for a meeting with the boss, try to explain to the coworker in the car with me that this has NEVER HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE. It’s a new car. I didn’t know how serious it was when the gas light went on... two days previously. But we pulled off the exit and rolled down the hill in neutral, and managed to make it all the way to a gas station. A gas station which had, as it turns out, had closed.
With another stroke of luck, there was this cop right next to us when I pulled off. He was talking to a drunk guy who was leaning on his window slurring insults at him ("Heh heh heh, You're an idiot. You know that? You're so dumb. Cops are stupid. Man I'm trashed.").
We rolled down the window and asked where the nearest gas station was. He told us that if we walked (in subzero windchill along a highway) for about a mile we could get to one, then continued to be insulted by the drunken man for a few more minutes before driving away. My coworker and I sat in stunned silence for a while longer before she called her boyfriend to help.
The police officer the pulled back around. “It’s cold out and that’s a busy highway, maybe I should give you a ride.”
Oh. Yeah, maybe.
“Oh my gosh, thank you. That’s SUCH a huge help.”
“Oh it’s not a problem, I’m not doing anything.”
No kidding.
“No, I really appreciate it. Thanks SO much”
The thing is, it WAS helpful. But then the other thing is, what else did he have to do?
But I finally did get to that meeting (late) with my boss and client. It was all very embarrassing.
that drunk guy insulting the cop....
ReplyDeleteit was me.