Thursday, February 18, 2010

gazers

So this is one reason I love Glasgow:
In most cities people ignore each other. They go along their way. “Live and let live” which really means “I don’t actually care about you.” In Glasgow, they very much like to pretend they are city types, but they aren’t. For one thing, if you ask a Glaswegian for directions, nine times out of ten they will actually walk you to where you want to go just to make sure you get there.
But here’s what happened yesterday;
I was walking through the park and passed a man holding a huge branch. Probably 8 feet long, 1.5 inches in diameter. He was holding it over the edge of the bridge (it’s a pretty big bridge, probably 20 feet high or so) above a fairly torrential river, yelling down into the waters.
Are you ready?
Are you ready?
He asked.
Alright, then.
And he threw the branch off the bridge. Naturally I tried to subtly look over the edge of the bridge. There were two dogs there, swimming in the rushing current towards the branch. That in and of itself was pretty funny and cute and not city like. What was better was when I looked back, there were probably 5 people who had run to the edge of the bridge and leaning over the edge to watch the dogs grab the branch. Not even a little attempt at subtlety.
Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment